Pieter Kubben, MD, PhD
Neurosurgeon, Maastricht University Medical Center, The Netherlands
Editorial Board Members/Section Editors
We are also constantly looking for guest editors who wish to compile a theme issue on a special subtopic (for example: electronic publishing, telemedicine, quality of health information, patient education, decision-support, Internet in psychiatry).
This may be particularly interesting for workshop and conference organizers putting together a grant-funded event (eg, with invited experts) on an eHealth-related topic. JMIR can then be used as a dissemination vehicle. (Funding through grants or other sources is usually required and should be budgeted for in grant proposals. Letters of support are available from the JMIR editor. Note that granting agencies such as NLM or CIHR usually want to see some sort of knowledge translation activities in workshop proposals, and have in the past funded the JMIR APFs.)
The task of the guest editor(s) is generally
- to solicit manuscripts from colleagues concerning the selected topic,
- to select peer-reviewers for incoming manuscripts,
- to make decisions (together with the editorial board) on article revisions and acceptance, and
- to write an editorial for the theme issue
- to secure funding to sponsor the APFs for published papers (usually in the $10-20k range).
Alternately, the abstracts of the conference may be published in a supplement, with selected full papers published later in a theme issue or in regular JMIR issues.